A delicious vegetarian pie full of antioxidants and sweet flavours.
2 red bell peppers, halved and sliced
2 yellow bell peppers, halved and sliced
1 onion, halved and sliced
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
200gr of fresh or tinned mushrooms, sliced
1 fresh tomato, sliced
200gr feta cheese, chopped in small pieces
1 small bunch of parsley, chopped
2 sheets of short crust pastry
Olive oil to brush
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp of milk
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- In a pan, using medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the onion. Cook until softened.
- Add the pepper slices and season with salt and pepper. Stir well, put the lId on, turn the heat down and cook for 5-10 min until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 5 min.
- Turn off the heat and add the tomato slices, feta cheese and parsley. Stir well.
- Brush a deep oven tray with olive oil and place a sheet of shortcrust pastry on the bottom. Make sure the sides have pastry too.
- Add your pepper mixture, trying to keep any extra juices behind, as these will make your pastry soggy.
- Cover with the second sheet of pastry and pinch the ends with the bottom pastry all the way around to seal your pie.
- With a sharp knife, cut some small holes on the top pastry to allow the steam from the pie filling to escape.
- With a fork, lightly beat the egg yolk with the milk and brush all of your pastry with it.
- Place in your pre-heated oven and cook for around 20-25 minutes until your pastry looks lovely and golden.
It is a great meal for work and your colleagues will be asking for the recipe...I have personal experience ?