PASTA WITH CHICKEN & TOMATO SAUCE
This is one of my favourite Greek dishes and this recipe works every time. So if you and your friends like Greek cuisine, I promise this is going to wow you all. We used to make this back home on a Sunday lunch with the whole family around the table. Start with a leafy green salad and avoid having bread as pasta will give you all the carbs you need for this meal. Greeks like to finish their meals with a portion of fresh fruit rather than dessert so think about it if you are trying to cut down on the calories.
A delicious heart-warming Greek pasta dish.
4 chicken legs, skin off
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
16 shallots, whole, peeled
1 teaspoon caster sugar
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 cup of white wine
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tin of chopped tomatoes or 400g of fresh peeled tomatoes, blended
500 gr wholemeal spaghetti
120 gr Pecorino cheese, grated to serve
- In the meantime, peel and chop the onion and peel the shallots. Add the onion, shallots and the sugar in the casserole and cook until lovely and golden.
- Add the cloves and allspice and stir well for one minute.
- Add the white wine and scrape the bottom of your casserole well to release all the flavours.
- Add the tomatoe paste and chopped tomatoes and shimmer for 2 more minutes.
- Return your chicken in the sauce and make sure it is covered in sauce. You can add half a cup of water if necessary. Let it simmer for 10-15min.
- Take 6-7 tablespoons from your lovely sauce and add it to the pasta. Mix your pasta well to allow the sauce to cover them.
- Serve on your plates adding extra sauce, shallots, chicken and finish with pecorino cheese.